Commercial printers are major investments. Unfortunately, like most other forms of technology, printers have a tendency to break down and malfunction, leaving you frustrated if you aren’t sure how to fix them.
One of the best ways to prevent printer malfunctions is to maintain them regularly. Not only will printer maintenance prevent troublesome breakdowns, but it will extend the life of your machine and help you get your money’s worth from your investment.
Although some business owners think printer maintenance is extremely complex, we’re here to let you know that it is actually pretty simple! By using some of these basic tips, you can keep your machine running smoothly. Of course, if you ever have any major issues with the printer, take it to a store that offers printer sales and service in Phoenix, AZ to have it inspected and repaired.
Here are some of our go-to printer maintenance tips for the average commercial printer unit:
- Keep it clean: You probably have your office cleaned regularly to avoid any buildup of dust and dirt, but when was the last time you checked your printer for the same buildup? Dust and grime accumulates in your printer over time and can hinder its performance if it’s not cleaned up. Open up your printer and wipe it down with a lint-free cloth. Additionally, clean the printheads manually or with the built-in cleaning function most printers have in the settings.
- Align the paper tray: Paper jams are a common office problem, but very few people realize that the jams start in the paper tray and are easily avoided. Open the paper tray once every few days—if not every day—and realign the paper if it is askew. Remove any torn or bent pages, as these are the most common paper jam offenders.
- Install new software: Not all printer maintenance is physical—some of it is digital! Your printer manufacturer is continuously releasing new software to help your printer run more efficiently, particularly if it also performs other functions like faxing and copying. Check for these updates regularly and always keep your software up to date to get the best possible performance.
- Keep it running: Contrary to popular belief, running your printer less will not keep it from breaking down as often. In fact, letting your printer sit idle for too long can cause more problems, including dried ink cartridges and clogged printheads. Even during slow production times, be sure to print a page or two every few days to keep the printer running.
- Call a professional: Breakdowns are unfortunately inevitable, in which case it might be tempting to try to fix the machine on your own. However, doing so might void your warranty, so always call a professional printer company for the most reliable repairs. Also ask your printer provider about service agreements to get a more comprehensive maintenance plan in place.
Printer breakdowns don’t have to be a major headache—just visit Arizona Copier Outlet! With our wide selection of new, near-new and refurbished equipment at great prices, we are your go-to spot for printer sales and service in Phoenix, AZ. We even have one- to three-year extended warranties available for your convenience and peace of mind. Call today to learn how you can get free color copies for one year!