Paper jams are among the most frustrating problems one can experience in the workplace. More than one person has fantasized about smashing apart a malfunctioning copier like the guys in the movie Office Space. But fortunately, there are steps you can take to make sure you minimize the incidence of copier jams.
Here are a few of the most reliable ways to prevent jams in copiers in Phoenix, AZ:
- Make sure paper is stored properly: All paper should be stored in a warm, dry place. One of the most common reasons paper gets jammed in a copier is because it is slightly damp due to humidity. When it is left in a tray or simply stored improperly, it will collect moisture from the air, which then causes rollers in the copier to slip and can make the paper curl. Curled paper will not slide through the machine as easily as flat paper. Make sure the machine is only fed with the amount of paper it truly needs at any given time.
- Use quality paper: Only buy paper that is sold in packets or reams, rather than cheap, loosely boxed paper. Paper that is too thin and low-grade will be more likely to cause issues inside printers and copiers. Recycled paper is particularly likely to jam because it is simply not as good of quality as other types of paper.
- Follow instructions: Many manufacturers list a recommended weight and type of paper in the manual that comes with printers and photocopiers. Take a close look at these specifications and make sure that you’re actually purchasing the right kind of paper. It has been recommended for a reason! If you are not using the right kind of paper and are experiencing regular jams, try buying the recommended type and see if that makes a difference. If so, you’ve found your solution.
- Check the machine setup: The problem might be with the machine and not the paper. If this is the case, make sure the machine has actually been set up correctly. You should be using the proper paper tray and only inserting regular paper. Envelopes and cardstock typically must go through special trays with rollers that have been designed for them.
- Make sure you always load properly: People are often in a hurry to make sure their print job gets done. However, that’s no excuse to carelessly shove paper into the tray and just hope it comes out correctly. Poorly loaded paper is very commonly the cause of jams and other copier issues. It should be stacked in a straight and even fashion, and never be overloaded. Take the extra few seconds it requires to load it properly—it’s worth it.
Are you interested in further assistance in keeping your printers and copiers in Phoenix, AZ in great shape? Reach out to the experienced team at Arizona Copier Outlet today and we are more than happy to answer any questions or respond to any concerns you have about your equipment.